Friday, December 10, 2004

Counting Your Change...

I save my change. I was once told years ago that I should save my change. Never spend it when at a store. Just pull out fresh bills and spend from there. I have heeded that advice since about 1992 and have collected jars and jars of change.

Usually, I take the jars of change, cash them in, and take the couple of hundred bucks and buy myself something that I would never have bought for myself in the first place.

For example, one year I bought myself a really nice mountain bike and I used that sucker all the time. Another year, I went and bought myself a really nice MP3 player.

It used to be harder to collect change when I was living in apartments. I used to have two separate bowls. One for change and one for quarters. I needed to separate the largest quanity out from the rest of the bunch because I needed clean clothes! Now...with a washer and a dryer in the house, collecting significant amounts of change is a lot simpler.

I took in another jar this week and I just love watching the people behind the counter when I bring in the big jar. They KNOW that I am going to fill up one of their bags and that requires them getting up to change the big heavy suckers. That makes me smirk.

In a recent conversation with my friend Eric, I discovered that coin counting might not be as ready a service as it has become in our area. Banks are doing it for free nowadays. In fact, it began as a unique service that banks were using to attract new customers in. It just seems now that all banks offer the service of free coin counting. Who needs those pesky Coinstar machines now? No more losing pesky %'s for me anymore!

Eric then went looking on the internet for places in his area that would take his coins and not charge him a fee. Through Google and the beauty of Al Gore's invention, he came across this helpful site. http://www.theunderstory.com/ That site is a cornucopia of places that you can use to count your change. I was shocked!

I just use the Penny Arcade at Commerce... it was on the list thankfully...

P.S. iPod... that's what I bougt from the change this year.... an iPod

No comments: