Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Proper Toilet Seat Ettiquette... a Valid Argument

At the gym, there is a sign that reads...

"Unisex Bathroom Ettiquette -- Please wipe the seat and put it down."

By now, you must be wondering... uh oh... where the hell is he going to go with this one... and you would be right.

It is a constant reminder to me of how much I am not a fan of the idea that men HAVE to put the toilet seat down when they finish. It is an antiquated notion -- especially in this post feminism world that we live in. (That is another argument... the election of W. had put the movement on hold or slow crawl for another four years... )

Back to the issue at hand, I will give you all a couple of things.

1. As an adult, I recognize the fact that it is probably more correct for the toilet seat to be put down. It looks nicer and is a more fitting use of the aparatus.

2. The toilet is an item in the house that is a necessity and no matter how you look at it, the purpose of the toilet is to put human waste in... whether you do it standing or sitting.

3. I was raised by my mother to put the toilet seat down. It is what I do. Has my wife ever complained to me about me not putting the seat down? I do it to be polite for the most part but do I feel like I should have to? The answer is no.

I hear women complain all the time about falling into the toilet because their A-hole husband didn't put the seat down. I offer this to you...

1. As an adult, you should have an awareness of who you are. It is simple enough to turn around and see if the seat is in the proper position. Grow up...

2. In a world where I see my teacher friends complain about their jobs -- not because of the kids but because of the parents who blame all of their children's actions on someone else -- I get more and more infatuated with the concept on how nothing is our fault. Someone else must be to blame for the fact that I didn't look to see if the seat was up or down... I don't do anything wrong. I suggest that those that fall into the toilet on more than one occasion to grow up and take responsibility -- literally - for your own ass.

3. I am also amazed at the women that complain how they "always" fall in because their husband "always" leaves the seat up. Even Pavlov's dogs learned to eat at the sound of a bell. You would think that a wet ass would deter some folks from this... apparently not.

I leave you with this final thought, and I hate to generalize this to all women so I say this to those that are dopey enough to fall in over and over again. Grow up... and recognize where you are... It is important for the continuation of our species...

1 comment:

kneel said...

Well, I would tend to argue that those who are not smart enough to prevent themselves from falling in really aren't important to our survival. Maybe they should not breed at all.