Thursday, December 09, 2004

Too Efficient for My Own Good or Why Don't I Have Any Kids?

Look... there are TWO things about the work world that realllly get muh goat.

1. Efficiency is a curse in the workplace.

Alright... I am not saying that I am better than anyone, BUT I am one of the most efficient people I know. I am given tasks to do and I generally get them all done way before the deadline.

I am also quite proficient in looking at a calendar and reviewing what I need for upcoming meetings, preparing them, acquiring the appropriate approvals and not stressing the day before something is due.

It is how I function. Muh honey and I were done with so much stuff for our wedding over the summer that by the time the week before the wedding rolled around, we were relaxed and did almost nothing for the big day.

I am efficient. There... I said it...

Now... I seem to be the one that also suffers the most because I am so efficient. I have been asked to do other people's work because they do not have the same ability to judge and ANTICIPATE what they might need to have done. I think it is aggravating at best...

It is simply frustrating.

I have decided to strike back however... I am beginning to say no and stick by it. I used to cave in sometimes as I have some pride in the way things should look and operate and I don't like to see how some people ruin the final product because of their inability to plan. I have simply stated, "I am not going to do your work because you failed to recognize what you needed to do." It is implied in this statement that too bad you gotta stay late. It ain't muh fault.

I have also decided to not turn things in early. I simply sit on them until almost the last possible second so that I can say that I was working on them.

I need more ideas. Anyone have any?

2. Not being married or having kids means you get shi*t detail.

The whole situation stinks and I think is an unfair prejudice against people like me. It is also crappy to think that I get crapped on too when it comes to snowy days. Ever notice that the Drew Carey episode about the single people suffering is so true? Who always gets to leave work first when it is bad weather? Those with kids or spouses. Single people are just not human beings. What makes those other people more important than me?


Argh... I don't rant much... but today is one of those days.

5 comments:

mickeyg said...

I agree wholeheartedly.... see http://mickeyg.blogspot.com/. Woo hoo, rant away!

Anonymous said...

I believe you are married, so you would fall into the category of people with spouses.

Smelmooo said...

That's right ... to the Anonymous person from Flanders, NJ.

I am married... however... being married is still a hundred levels below the bullsh*t excuse of having kids.

This is especially true when I have the independent wife who can handle things on her own.

I know too many fellas who have the wimpiest wives in the world who need their husbands to come pick them up if a snowflake hits the ground. How do they get by in life? Now really....

KARCHAMB said...

I'm thinking your anger is a bit misdirected. Does it occur to anyone that the problem is not that that those with families get "special" treatment but that all of us are trained to think that the family (in whatever its form) and life outside the workplace should take a backseat to the workplace itself?

We are trained to believe that single people have less of a "life" outside of the workplace, but we are also trained to believe that things at work can't possibly wait until Mr. or Ms. Employee comes back to work in the morning.

When there is bad/unsafe weather, we should have workplaces that say, "this is unsafe, all of our employees should find a safe way home." I'm all for independence, and I've got 4 wheel drive to get me to where I need to go, but I'm not going to feel bad about avoiding anything that threatens my safety, whether I have kids or not.

We should look to support workplaces and companies that value all of our lives rather than seeing those with traditional families as getting "bonuses."

kneel said...

1. A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

2. What's snow?