Sunday, December 26, 2004

Get Married... Time Starts Over!!!

Muh honey and I have known each other since April of 2001.

From the day that we actually met for the first time, it has been pretty hard to separate us. We do the mundane things together. We do the big social events together. We are truly a pair and we are truly united.

I proposed to muh honey in July of 2003. By that point, muh honey and I had already celebrated three Fourth of Julys and Memorial Days together. We had celebrated two birfdays each togeter, two Christmases together and two Thanksgivings together. We celebrated together because we were a couple.

In October of 2004, we were married. We had spent three and a half years of our lives together and we went to the next step of marriage. Marriage was the beginning of our lives together officially... That's when "time" began... and it doesn't make me smile...

I came across this revelation recently when someone I know... said to me... "Awww... it's your first Christmas together...Isn't that cute?... you excited?"

My response was quick... "No... as it is our fourth Christmas together... "

That's when I realized that all the time together before getting married was all for naught in many people's eyes... The memories that we had created are erased as though the dating period of our relationship was on a dry erase board while the married part of our relationship was moving towards permanent marker on cardboard...

Why does time start over when you get married? I understand the concept... but I want to celebrate the fact that muh honey and I are actually celebrating a lot more than just 3 months together... it has been almost 4 years!

1 comment:

KARCHAMB said...

I totally understand. I still get "well, you guys haven't been together THAT long" to which I respond, "It's been over eight years." The most common response is "Yeah, but not MARRIED." I hate that one.

Especially from people who got married after a few months together who don't mind starting over, since there's barely a difference. Considering everything that happened in those first 4+ years (at least 5 different moves, surviving the long distance thing both cross-country and cross-continent, etc), I'd like to think that they matter.