Friday, December 03, 2004

Death of a Beloved Appliance...

This week, I was sad.

I put my favorite former phone and alarm clock to bed...for good.

1. It will no longer stare at me as a reminder of the days when I used to hit the alarm and dread going to Calculus.

2. It will no longer be my reminder that I have to get up and go earn money for a living.

3. It will no longer be a reminder of the single most disgusting thing I have ever done to another human being. (For those of you that know what I did... there is absolutely NO need to rehash what I did .. especially in print.)

I have had that alarm clock since 1992 when I worked at G.H. Bass in the summer and our store reached a commendable sales total. It was our gift for doing a great job all summer. It was a dual alarm clock/radio/phone. I used it every single day I was home for over twelve years. That alarm clock followed me to five residences in New Brunswick, on in Washington, D.C., two in Hamilton, one in Somerset, one in North Brunswick and its final resting spot in Metuchen.

The "appliance" had grown so unsightly that even I realized that I needed to get a new alarm clock. The phone part had been out of commission for many years -- for good reason and I was only using it to wake me up each morning...

My new alarm clock speaks to me. It tells me the day and lets me know in a gentle and kind female voice that it is time to wake my a$$ up. It will... however... never replace my favorite piece of technology that I have ever had....NEVER.

Here is to you my former alarm clock!

May you live in peace and harmony forever -- never waking before it is time!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As disgusting as the old clock was, I actually long for it when I hear that awful, robotic woman saying "The time is..six...twenty...two..a..m.." She is awful. Santa may bring you a brand-new beeping alarm clock for Christmas if he can make it through the chimney of death!!

-- yh