Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Weekend of Movies...

The Thanksgiving weekend proved to be a successful and relaxing weekend in many regards. Muh honey and I did some essential Christmas shopping and even wrapped many of the gifts. We also watched an obscene amount of movies and DVD's. Let's review some of what we watched.

1. Night Shift -- I have heard for years how hilarious this movie is so I stumbled across it late one night on HBO Comedy. Henry WInkler and Michael Keaton are morgue employees who are paired up at night... Michael Keaton is an annoying and funny character while Henry Winkler is the calm stuffy guy. Good stuff results of course when they eventually become "love brokers." One of the funniest lines is when Michael Keaton is coming up with his "ideas" and says -- "Wait a minute! Why don't they just mix the mayonnaise with the tuna in the can... HOLD THE PHONE! Why don't they just FEED the tuna fish mayonnaise! " Very funny stuff... and Shelly Long is a prostitute... COMEDY!!!

2. South Park -- Season 4 -- That's right... we watched the entire 17 episode season and were reminded why these shows are so funny. The episode that featured "Flora" who couldn't make up her mind about who to vote for for Class President is another example of the wit and wisdom that comes out of those guys. That episode aired for the first time in the middle of November 2000 right after the Gore/Bush election. TImely and funny.

3. The Last Samurai -- I really enjoyed this film when I saw it in the movies and I really enjoyed it again on DVD. Tom Cruise really isn't that bad in most things that he does... often times... just "cruising" through his roles, but this movie would have been just your standard epic type film if it weren't for Ken Watanabe who plays the Japanese warrior Katsumoto. There is a reason he was nominated for an Academy Award. He is an understated and magnificent actor. The emotions he conveys when he doesn't speak are indescribable.

4. The Straight Story -- The only time that David Lynch decided to not be weird and confrontational resulted in this flick about an elderly gentleman who travels over the length of Iowa to see his brother in Wisconsin -- on his John Deere lawnmower. He has encounters along the way meeting another former war veteran and a young runaway. With each encounter we get to see deeper into his psyche and what is truly motivating him to make this 2 month trek. It is NOT an exciting movie and it moves along at the pace of the lead character but by the time you make it to the end... you should be changed.

5. Football -- I hate being in the New York market... I only get to watch the crappy Giants and the mediocre Jets. At least I got to watch the Raiders sneak out a win on the late night game this week. I just cringe however anytime they play in the snow. Stupid Pats/Raiders game a few years ago. Tuck this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like we watched more than that this weekend, but I guess not. Oh, wait -- I watched most of "The Shape of Things" with Paul Rudd and Rachel Weisz, who I sometimes think is beautiful and the next second will think is just goofy and unattractive. Anyway, not a good movie.

I will also comment on the movie we watched last night: 2003's "Out of Time" with Denzel (this is not, as I'd thought, the one where he's trying to save kidnapped Dakota Fanning, by the way).

The plot is initially more plodding than The Straight Story, but about halfway through I was totally caught up in it, feeling anxious and yelling at the screen, all against my better judgment. I really heart Denzel in most movies, but I have to say that that John Billingsley guy was the best.

--YH

Smelmooo said...

We did watch more... like Bad Boys 2 but I was tired of writing about them.