Friday, January 14, 2005

Amazon and Muh iPod Just Don't Know Me at All

I enjoy music.

I enjoy listening to music.

I enjoy giving music as gifts to friends as well.

I am cursed now though and I blame it all on a few people - my sister and muh wife.

Amazon.com is a great website for buying music, books and movies for friends. I use it all the time. I primarilly use it to buy gifts for my sister. My sister's taste in music is abhorrent at best as she asks me to buy her this mentally unchallenging crap called Country Music. I don't get it... and if you are a country music fan... and you are my friend... we have some things to discuss. Regardless of my like or dislike of this genre of music, she is the Smelmooo's sistah and I going to buy her what she asked for.

Amazon.com has a feature and they use it as a great marketing tool to entice you to buy more music. They look at your old purchases and then inundate you on the front page with similar types of items that you might want to buy. Looking at Amazon.com today, they think I should buy Brooks and Dunn and some other country music person I don't even know.

Amazon.com... truly doesn't understand me.

This is also prevalent on my iPod. Ichabod iPod is a joint item between the super charming Smelmooo and his lovely wife. It includes the music of BOTH of our CD collections. Smelmooo's wife has a limited number of CDs but the singer she had far more than any other was Ani DiFranco. If you aren't familiar with Ani, let's just say that she is a bit to the "left" and a tad feminist (nothing wrong with that...). In fact, I often hear feminists talk how she might be a little out there. They have even referred to her music as Lesbian Love Music.

That's fine. I completely respect the singer and her music and I don't mind her in small doses, but Ichabod iPod seems to think that we want to hear her all the time. It is quite the culture shock when we are on shuffle and we go from the classic Cinderella -- Don't Know What You've Got Til Its Gone to 32 Flavors... It is just shocking.

I didn't really mind any of this at all... until this week when Amazon.com took the time to send me an email suggesting that I would like to buy the latest Ani DiFranco CD because I had purchased an Indigo Girls CD in the past (4 years ago to be exact.)

Now... I am depressed... I am feeling almost betrayed by Ichabod and amazon.com. They just don't know me at all.

They think I Am a Country Music Loving Lesbian...

*sigh*

4 comments:

mickeyg said...

oh, how I can relate. My ipod is just mine, so I don't have that issue, but amazon insists that I want to listen to Tom Waits and Rollins Band since I bought Jack a christmas present. Strange.

Gina

Smelmooo said...

What is strange?

Jack or that Amazon thinks you want to hear that stuff?

Anonymous said...

"... I Am a Country Music Loving Lesbian"

And here I would have pictured you as Classic Rock Bisexual... The things you learn from reading these blogs... Mags

mickeyg said...

To clarify,

Yes, Jack is strange. And Amazon is strange in its recomendations. And sometimes Jack's musical taste is strange too. I just laugh whenever I log onto Amazon and it's giving me reccomendations based on recent gift purchases - like the list of Dora the Exploror things that are now on my list because I bought presents for my niece and little Jack.