Monday, January 24, 2005

Why I Hate Watching Sports Interviews

This past weekend, I was reminded as to why I hate to watch interviews with coaches and players after sporting events.

I was sure to watch the two Conference Championship games this past weekend as muh wife and I were proverbial snowed in.

I watched some of the pre-game stuff for the Eagles/Falcons game and then I watched some of the post-game stuff for the Patriots/Steelers game.

And ... I dread having done it.

These interviews offer the viewer absolutely nothing. They offer the networks and the players to say the exact same thing over and over and over again. Let me show you what I mean...

TV Reporter -- "Coach...what do you have to do to win today's game?"
Coach -- "Well ... we have to make sure that we play some tough defense and see what we can do on offense. Running the ball is key but we have to also throw the ball."

Are you kidding me? Aren't those the three main things that you have to do to win a football game?

How about after the game?

TV Reporter -- "Coach, why were you able to win the game today?"
Coach -- Well... we played some tremendous defense and we were able to run and pass the ball successfully."

YOU DID NOT JUST SAY THAT?!?!!? I guess you did...

If it weren't for Terry Bradhsaw's goofy interviews with players where he asks them inane questions essentially making the player pick one of two options, I wouldn't watch the interviews at all! I say that we start a letter writing campaign to the networks asking them to stop interviewing players... it wastes my time and brain cells.

For example...

"Dear Network...

Please stop having reporters ask coaches and players questions on, before or after the game. It really bores me to hear the same thing over and over and over again. If I wanted that... I would watch an episode of Gilmore Girls or something... blah blah blah blah...

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

SIncerely,

The Smelmooo

P.S. I will pay dearly for the Gilmore Girls reference... oh yes I will."

1 comment:

LITBMueller said...

As a tie-in to this post & your previous one re: snow storms, I personally hate news interviews about snow storms! Philly stations went 24-7 with the snow, so we could get constant in-depth interviews like this:

BILL THE CHEEZY NEWS GUY: And now we go to Juanita the Cheezy On-Scene Girl with a report on the roads.

JUANITA THE CHEEZY ON-SCENE GIRL: It's snowing, Bill. And driving is difficult. Back to you, Bill!

BILL: Thanks, Juanita! And here's Charles the Cheezy Weatherman with an update. Charles?

CHARLES THE CHEEZY WEATHERMAN: It's still snowing Bill. And were still going to get up to 10 inches.

BILL: Thanks, Charles. Will check back with you in 2 minutes. On the phone we have the Mayor. Mr. Mayor, anything you would like to suggest to our viewers?

MAYOR: Yes, Bill. It's snowing. So stay off the roads.

BILL: Wise words, Mr. Mayor. Also on the phone we have the Director of SEPTA. Mr. Director, what's the latest with SEPTA?

DIRECTOR OF SEPTA: Well, it's snowing, Bill. So the trains aren't running.

BILL: Thanks you, Mr. Director. We have to take a short break, but we'll be right back with our special coverage and the latest info on the snow. Stay tuned to Channel 6 for your latest snow information!