Thursday, January 06, 2005

Umm... uh oh... I was Singing Out Loud...

This morning... I arrived at work early. I was wide awake by the time everyone got there and I was walking around some. When everyone arrived, I was in a good mood as the meeting I hosted went much better than I had anticipated.

The problem came when I realized what it was that I was humming and singing. I didn't realize that I was doing it out loud. It was a show tune from the show/movie Singin' in the Rain called Good Morning. It is a fun little ditty that was a funny song in the show. It was appropriate for that but not necessarily a song you sing at 7 in the morning to my constituency.

I am not sure any of them realized what I had done. Crap... I didn't even realize what I had done for a few minutes. I didn't even realize I had done it out loud. Now I wonder... How weird do I look to these people...

I also started to get paranoid... what other songs do I sing out loud and how many of them are also show tunes? I know that I have had a bunch of them in my had since muh honey and I play the soundtrack to Avenue Q whenever we get a chance. Most people would just think those are funny songs and not full fledged showtune songs like...Hello Dolly! or America.

I am a married man but I still enjoy a good show tune or 30... which might explain why Connie and Carla was a better movie than I should have thought it was.

Aside from the entire soundtrack of Avenue Q, I think I might have the inclination to sing a few more out loud if the situation warrants it. For example...

Whenever I go to the store to buy anything over $100, I always seem to start humming..."If I Were a Rich Man" from Fiddler on the Roof...

Whenever I am at a meal and I want more food, I always seem to think of "Consider Yourself" from Oliver!

Whenever someone walks into the room that I think is a tad bit full of him or herself, how can I NOT think of "Hello Dolly!" from the show of the same name?

Show tunes aren't the only things I think of... but these four examples are evidence that I might be one of two things... ABSOLUTELY NORMAL... or a "Show Tune Lover."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew there was a reason why mom mother loved you...

-j

Smelmooo said...

I am sorry... but I don't know who this is... could you send me an email letting me know who it is?

Thanks so much. :-D

Anonymous said...

I once sent the lyrics of a song from Wicked to someone who was trying to make sense out of a breakup. I know it was incredibly cheesy but I thought appropriate for what I was trying to convey to him at that time. Thus, showtunes can be powerful!

-Shari

mickeyg said...

I sing the same song from singing in the rain to muh honey too, especially on the weekends.

So no, you are not strange. This coming from the girl who's boyfriend in HS sang "Maria" from West Side Story, spend weekends singing songs from Fame as a child, never let Les Miz out of her tape player in junior high and sings her heart out to Once More With Feeling" whenever she's alone in her car!

g