Thursday, January 27, 2005

Why I am a Raiders Fan...

I am often asked the following question(s).

Why are you an Oakland Raiders fan? You have been one ever since I remember yet, you are a white, non gangsta, New Jersey born and bred guy... so what is the connection with the Raiders?

I have been accused of being a bandwagon jumper. I have been accused of many things throughout my life but a bandwagon jumper has never been something I have done... except on television shows... like Twin Peaks.

I have old jersies and really really really old baseball caps that have the Raiders logo on them. I watch the Oakland Raiders whenever they are on the television. I make sure that they are the first team I look up on Sunday night if I have been away all day. I try to NEVER pick any Raiders for my fantasy teams because I do not want to rely on my team as I will be doubly disappointed if they fail.

I am 31 years old and I can pinpoint the exact moment of when I became a Raiders fan...

The answer is really simple actually... I was at a "party" for the 1981 Super Bowl between the Oakland Raiders and the Philadelphia Eagles.

I vaguely remember that there were people that were cheering for the Eagles rather loudly as the part of New Jersey I was from had a very heavy Philadelphia attachment. Being the pain in the ass that I am, I rooted for the Raiders and never stopped.

It has been almost a 25 year journey with the Raiders and although they sucked again this year, I will be putting all my energy into rooting for the Patriots as I cannot stand to see the Eagles win anything... it is in my nature.

(and yes... I know the Patriots knocked the Raiders out of theplayoffs three years ago because of that stupid tuck rule... but dammit... I would rather the team that knocked my team out win then another team.... at least my team lost to the best team! Dumb logic..but it is my logic...)

No comments: