Friday, January 28, 2005

Funny Radio?

I was driving to work today and I was listening to Howard Stern on the radio. Yes... I like listening to Howard Stern... would I buy a Sirius radio and follow him to satellite? No... but he entertains me.

This morning... I found him especially entertaining.

I was listening to a segment of his in which a woman was competing against Fred Norris to win $10,000. I had listened intently to her answers and then I pulled into the parking lot at work. I still had 20 minutes before I was SUPPOSED to be in the office so I decided to continue to brave the 0 degree weather and listen to Fred's turn.

Fred came on the air and answered all the questions correctly and won the contest. I didn't really care so much but it was still some funny radio.

Apparently... 6 other guys and 2 women thought so too... because after the game was over, we all got out of our cars at the exact same time. It was almost surreal.

Here I was... waiting the five extra minutes to hear the end of a segment and so were all these other people. We all kind of looked at each other knowlingly and didn't really say anything about it.

This also reminds me of the time I was driving down a major interstate and got stuck in a major traffic jam. I was listening to a now defunct non-satellite radio program (Let me give you a hint -- it is no longer on because of St. Patrick's Cathedral.) and was laughing at whatever was being said.

So was the guy in the car to the right of me and the woman to the left of me. We all seemed to bond over that laugh.

It's amazing that when you are in your own little private domain of a vehicle that outside forces can still penetrate your fiefdom. I was laughing with the other kings and queens on the New Jersey Turnpike... just as I had with the other employees this morning.

God bless the radio... I hope the medium never dies....

2 comments:

LITBMueller said...

Well, of the FCC has their way, dude, radio will end up as interesting as the Lawrence Welk Show!!!

seth said...

If you really miss O & A, you can download clips from their show at: http://www.oavirus.com/indexframe.htm and on the XM link found on that page (all for free) for use on your Ipod/PC.