Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A Night of Movies...

Wow... I don't know what came over us, but muh honey and I watched two/three movies in one day! All three movies received four stars in muh book and I am proud to relate them to you now. :)

(That has to be the best segue in Blog history...)

1. Dawn of the Dead (2004) -- Before muh honey got home, I watched the new version of Dawn of the Dead that was a pretty awesome remake of a horror classic. That has been twice in the past year -- the first being Texas Chainsaw Massacre and now this. As a horror movie afficionado, I am always skeptical about going to see sequels and remakes, which explains why I avoided watching it in the theaters. It turned out to be a lot better than I thought.

My only complaint was that it wasn't as thought provoking as 28 Days Later. Thought provoking? -- you might say... Yes...I would respond. I don't watch zombie films for the blood and guts. I truly watch zombie flicks from a political science perspective. I am always fascinated to see how law and order will be established when the world goes to shit. Dawn of the Dead happeded just as I thought it would... nothing too exciting. 28 Days Later however showed what would happen when different types of people get together. There was the peaceful group and the military group...and then...they collided... and oh...there were also some zombies who weren't discriminating against any of them.

2. Before Sunset -- On the completely other end of the spectrum, we watched this sequel to Before Sunrise in which Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy (who is far more ravishing than she was in the first flick while Ethan Hawke - the evil kickball player from hell -- go ahead...ask me -- was as skinny as a heroin addict) meet after nine years apart. They follow the same formula as the first movie as they get to know each other again and talk for 90 minutes. If you were a fan of the first one... this will not disappoint you. I might even argue that this was better than the first one. I was even completely satisfied with the ending...it was the right ending.

3. Evelyn -- Evelyn features Pierce Brosnan as a father in Ireland in 1953 whose wife leaves him and his three children. Under Irish law, the children are placed in an orphanage since there is no mother to take care of them. Through tough times, Pierce Brosnan uses the court system to fight to get them back as the orphanages won't give them back -- especially the super cute daughter Evelyn. The movie stars a list of top notch character actors such as one of my favorites Stephen Rea (Crying Game) and Aidan Quinn. Julianna Marguiles is also in it... being Irish... We didn't know what to expect from this... but it was great...and very uplifting. I shouldn't have made the joke...but thankfully... Pierce didn't dress up like a British housekeeper and call himself Mrs. Doubtfire.

Phew... god bless Netflix....

No comments: