Friday, January 06, 2006

The End of Smokable Clown

I was inspired last year by a friend of mine to start up Smokable Clown. It was supposed to be a site where we put our impressions of things... entertainment. We were going to write movie and book reviews and talk about what we were watching and reading and listening to.

The site became a chronology for a goal that we both decided to try. That was to read 52 books in a year. I was able to do so and a lot of the books I read were what I enjoy reading -- crap. I generally don't read the "important" books nor do I want to.

I have decided to officially announce that I will not be contributing anymore to the site and refocus all my efforts to this site. I will let you know what I am reading -- after I read it. Every once in awhile, I might even let you know what I am reading BEFORE I read it.

I have made a new goal for myself in 2006. I want to read 26 books. I don't want to force myself to read and I want to enjoy reading more this year. I have recently picked up my first book and finished it in 3 days. I started a second book on the 4th and finished that in 2 days. The rest of the year won't be that easy, but I will be focussed on it.



My first book of the year and a book that typifies my desire to read drivel was "At First Sight" (by master of schmaltz -- Nicholas Sparks. It has been sitting on my desk for a couple of months and I finally decided to clear it off by reading it. I was surprised by it. The book was centered around a man who was making some huge life choices by getting married to a completely different woman than he expected. He from NYC and her from a very small and intimate Southern town. The stereotypes you would expect were present, but the book focused more on his inner feelings and doubts about others. I found it extremely insightful. Even though the situations were taken to dramatically hyperbolic standards, I felt a kinship with him. It was a gentle and harmless read.



My second book of the year was by former President Jimmy Carter and it was entitled Sharing Good Times. This is my first book by the President and I was impressed at how easily he writes. He has a simplicity about it and he just seems to enjoy writing. This book is a collection of some of his most enjoyable memories. The catch is that in all of these memories, he has shared them with someone else... from the leader of Israel to his wife Rosalyn, Carter brings us on a journey through his life. It was a feel good book and I feel good about recommending it to you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also finished reading At First Sight a few days ago and I loved it. I would consider myself biased though because I love all of the books Nicholas Sparks writes. I have to admit that I was a little surprised in the book at the turn of the events, but it didn't take me very long to read it either.

steakbellie said...

loss of a really good name...