Friday, August 06, 2004

Hardest Birfday

My gally gal friend turned 30 yesterday and it got me thinking about birfdays. As most of you know, I LOVE my birfday. I love the experience of seeing muh friends gather to hang out and catch up on old times. Back in the day, muh birfday was used as an excuse to see the old high school friends that we had lost touch with during college. No one really cared that it was muh birfday...we just all wanted to get together and drink beers.

Birfdays are the day of the year in which people are around to celebrate the fact that you were born. You mean something to people and they celebrate the impact that you have had in their lives. Birfdays rock...or at least they are supposed to.

On the other extreme, I remember how birfdays just plain suck sometimes... because I recently heard someone ask a friend that stupid and insane question that I hear on every birfday. "How does it feel to be XXX?" It feels the exact same as it did yesterday. I am now 15 minutes older...but now I have a new number to say when I fill out forms at the doctor's office.

I did ask though if my friend had any trouble with being the big 30 which seems to set off a lot of folks into a state of depression. She didn't. In fact, her response was the exact same as mine when asked that question. "25 was a tough year...30 is nothing." 30 was just another year for me but 25 was my roughest birfday yet.

It was sort of a cross roads for me. I had to essentially become an adult. When you reach 25, you aren't young enough to blame the majority of your dumb mistakes anymore on being naive or young. You have to take responsibility for your actions. For some like muh friend and I, we realized this and turning 25 became somewhat of a depressing year.

How about you guys? What was your hardest year? Why? I can also say that 27 was a pretty hard year but that was because of some tough things that were going on. Yeah.. 27 wasn't a good year either... that's why I started up the BT Birfday Bash for 28.

I bet you guys can't wait to see what I have planned for 31. Perhaps a wife beater T Shirt? Nah.. not even I would do that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Unacceptable.

Birfday. Acceptable?

Your blog, your rules I guess.