Friday, August 27, 2004

Sometimes... Life Humbles You

Sometimes... Life Humbles You

I went to Eckerd recently to buy something that we shall now refer to as "potentially embarrassing." I was not comfortable with buying this item, and I just wanted to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible. I didn't want anyone to see what I was buying let alone what happened to me.

So I get to the front counter with my embarrassing item, a package of four light bulbs, and some detergent. I put them all on the counter after waiting five minutes for a pair of people who thought Eckerd is the right forum to negotiate prices on outdoor lighting. (Side note -- If you are buying your outdoor lighting at Eckerd, you do not have a right to bargain. Just don't.)

I finally reached the front of the line. At this point, a line had begun to develop behind me and I was glad to see the girl behind the counter was willing to assist me by quickly scanning the embarrassing item and hiding it behind one of the two bottles of detergent. She then took it a step further by scanning one of the bottles, moved the item behind the recently scanned bottle and scanned the second bottle.

This is where it got sticky. I was starting to feel relieved that possibly the line of 4 older ladies behind me hadn't seen my item when the cash register girl lifted up the package of light bulbs.
Glass poured out of the container of light bulbs.

I was now the center of attention and I had to go back to get another package of light bulbs. I heard the collective groan of the old ladies behind me but I went to get the light bulbs anyway.

I made my way back to the counter and what did I see? The girl behind the counter had spread everything out with embarrassing item out in full view to clean up the shards of glass.

I was wearing a purple shirt that day. My face went a deep shade of purple. Everybody knows about my item now.

At this point, I am officially mortified.

For some reason, I apologized to the sweet old ladies behind me and they all nodded at me knowingly. As I left the store, I only thought one thing. "God, I hope they thought I was apologizing for the lightbulbs being broken."

No comments: