Monday, August 16, 2004

Olympic Guilty Pleasures of the Smelmooo

So... like a good American television viewer, I found myself glued to the television this weekend watching the Olympics from Athens, Greece. The opening ceremonies were different and neat, but I was excited on Saturday morning when I rolled out of bed and started watching what the 6 different NBC networks had to offer. I have many guilty pleasures already and that's with only two days of competition completed!

1. Women's Volleyball -- If you watched it, then you know all about the captain. God bless her. Side note, I don't think I like the rally scoring...

2. Rowing -- Rowing is a boring sport. There is nothing exciting about it... or is there? I was watching the women's 8 person row and the Americans beat out the top teams in the world in a qualifying match. They only beat the Rumanians by inches...but I actually went "YES!!!!" Very soon... I will be cheering for table tennis.

3. Table Tennis -- My friend said it best. "I can't believe there is an Olympic event for something that I do when I get drunk." (Thank you CB) Regardless, that ball flies all over the place. I would hate to be drunk and play them...

4. Softball -- Softball isn't my favorite sport either, but watching the opening segment for the US vs Australia game has me hooked. Is it sad that I can name at least five of the softball team members? I thought so. I even woke up this morning so I could watch the end of the USA vs Japan game. Go USA!

5. Men's Basketball -- Am I an un-American because I rooted for the Puerto Rican team? I don't think so. It was so good to see those arrogant fellas lose. So good.

6. Women's Synchronized Diving -- I really really really really really wanted to make fun of this sport and I will take some lashing here in the comments section about this, but this a pretty cool event. It was neat to see two people dive exactly the same way. It was even cooler when two sets of teams did the same dive and then through technology they superimposed the images of both teams showing you why one was better than the other.

Alright... there are 2 more weeks of this. I may never sleep again...but if women's beach volleyball continues to be the last thing I see at night before my head hits the pillow... then I should be fine.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of technology: as one who grew up not playing sports, I have always appreciated technological advances that allow me to enjoy watching sports--like the first-down line when watching televised football, and the blurred hockey puck that allows you to follow that damn tiny thing. My favorite for the Olympics? Labelling the swim lanes.

Smelmooo said...

Nice!

Good .. I totally forgot to mention those... the lanes labelling has been great for rowing and swimming.

I also have to love how they label the volleyball players on their butts... it gives me permission to stare. :-P

Anonymous said...

I too embarassingly enjoyed the synchro diving, but only because of that new freeze photo ability that shows exactly how in sync they are at different stages of the dive.

Smelmooo said...

Who is just like me!?!?!

Don't be shy.

Tell us who you are.

seth said...

I hate to do it, but I have to quote Jamie:

"Blah, blah, blah... the olympics suck.
The end."

Smelmooo said...

That is because you are unable to have an interesting or original thought come from that puny little head of yours.

Heh heh.

Open your mind to something new.

Chinese synchronized swimmers have more talent than Big Blue.

Anonymous said...

Just give it a rest!
:nP