Thursday, August 26, 2004

Harvey Reminds Me To Be Nice

Harvey Reminds Me To Be Nice


One of the greatest movies ever made was a movie named Harvey. It starred the incomparable Jimmy Stewart. It was based upon a popular play and is a lovely story about a middle aged drunk (Jimmy Stewart) that has been driving his sister and niece wild by introducing everyone he meets to his pal Harvey. Harvey is a big white rabbit, six feet three and a half inches tall, which only Elwood (and occasionally his sister when she's feeling odd) can see. The sister, Veta Louise Simmons, tries to have Elwood committed to Chumleys Rest sanatorium, but they let Elwood out and lock her up.

It sounds like a wacky movie and to be honest, it does get kind of wacky at points, but it is one of the most poignant movies ever made. I was talking to a friend who had also seen it, and we discussed our favorite line from the flick that still resonates a great deal with me.

Jimmy Stewart's character, near the end of the movie states while explaining his demeanor, "Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me."

This is one of my favorite movie lines of all time. It was one of my friend's favorite lines too.

The line resonates so much because we have to spend so much of our time in this world showing off how great we are to impress upon our peers. We often push pleasantries to the side to do such. We often push them to the side if we are in a rush as well. I find that even I do it. I sometimes call people and ask them for information and it isn't until I have already gotten the information that I remember to ask the person about their wife or husband or life. How I can forget to just be pleasant to another person is beyond me, but I remember eventually. I have even been known to call people back to admit my fault and be more pleasant.

If I have ever behaved that way with any of you loyal readers, I apologize. I swear I didn't mean it.

Also... as this seems like a rather abrupt ending to a thought that seems so obvious... check out the movie HARVEY. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed. As a side note, they have tried to remake the movie at least twice -- once starring Fred Gwynne and the other starring Harry Anderson. Avoid those. It is the 1950 version that is an absolute masterpiece.


No comments: