Sunday, August 22, 2004

Olympic Musings of the Smelmooo

Olympic Musings of the Smelmooo

1. It happened again. I sat down to watch the Olympics on this fine STORMING Saturday afternoon and I was the witness of a sport that I had no idea existed. I believe it is an amateur version of the short lived series on The Spike Network entitled Slam Ball. This event had no ball and no basket and no guards -- just trampolines and guys dressed like Paul Hamm, but they looked much older. The sport? Trampoline gymnastics. Unlike the synchronized diving, I have to continue to make fun of this event. These guys just jumped on a trampoline and and went into a bunch of positions up in the air. They looked like they were diving. It did get scary at one point though. A guy went slightly off track and the coach had to throw out a mat for him to land on since he wasn't coming anywhere near the middle of the trampoline. It made it dangerous... very dangerous.

2. I also turned on and left on the men's single badmitton finals between some guy from Indonesia and some guy from South Korea. The Indonesian just blew the S. Korean away. The crowd was phenomenal too...they were cheering the hell out of the sport and it made the match even more exciting. I did laugh though during the middle of the second game. The announcer actually said..."He is considered the Bad Boy of Badmitton." (completely ENUNCIATING all the T's in the word "badmitton.") Oh my heavens. That just added to the excitement... PROPER ENUNCIATION!!!!

3. If I never hear the name Michael Phelps again, my life will be more than fine.

4. How tall is that female gymnast that got the silver medal in the all around? I thought there was a guy at the entrance of the gym with a piece of straw in his mouth that holds his hand out and a sign that reads..."You must be shorter than this line to ride this ride." She looked like a monster next to all of them. Thankfully, she was a hottie tottie.

5. Women's beach volleyball is still the best event.

6. Please stop calling them the Dream Team. High school players do not deserve to be called the Dream Team. Players that do not even play professional basketball do not deserve to be called the Dream Team. Players that lose to Puerto Rico REALLY do not get to be referred to as the Dream Team. Blech. (The real Dream Team is the women's softball team.)

Time to reflect on other things....

3 comments:

barbara said...

OMG!! Okay.. I've just lost all of my Olympic respect for you!! I can't believe you think that *bad word* Svetlana Khorkina is a "hottie tottie"!!!
(1) I don't think, as a gymnast she is all that, her legs are so long and gangly that they fly EVERYWHERE!! They're never together or straight like the other gymnasts' legs are.
(2) Her execution, style and landings suck! Have you watched her land? She almost always conveniently takes a quick step over with her arms up as if she was done with the routine when she lands but it's really only because she's trying to catch her balance. Stick the landing... stick the landing Svetlana.
(3) Her attitude needs a MAJOR check and tune up! Did you NOT see what she did at the Sydney Olympics when the Russian team won "Silver" instead of "Gold" in the Team All-Around?!? She was so disgusted with the medal that she took it off during the medal ceremonies. I mean... really! There are teams out there who would love to even medal!
(4) Have you not heard the comments she's made this past go round when she lost to Carly Patterson? Khorkina says
‘judges robbed me’
Talk about being a sore loser, she should be thankful that she even scored as high as she did during those rotations, it's really only because she's a famous gymnast!
Okay, enough venting... I know I'm not a gymnast and hell, I couldn't even come close to doing half of the things those girls do but she is, nevertheless, a role model. She should be showing good sportsmanship. And unfortunately her duck-face, bad attitude does not warrant a "hottie tottie" comment.

Smelmooo said...

You bore me with all you reasons why she isn't a hottie tottie.

The fact of the matter is simple. ALthough a little skinny for my tastes, she is striking and beautiful.

3 or 4 cheeseburgers later... she is a mega-hottie.

jame1030 said...

I don't know Brian... she's pretty scary!