Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Lucky Me

Lucky Me

Recently, muh honey and I were the proud recipients of a brand new set of front steps. They steps look fantastic and we are proud of the work done by Jack. (By the way, if anyone needs some work, I totally recommend him and will get you his information.)

With the addition of new steps, we have the removal of the old steps. Partially rotted wood with rusty nails sticking out of them. It was a tetanus dream.

Our town follows strict rules when it comes to the disposal of such items. I set out yesterday to make each of these pieces of wood comply with the requirements. I grabbed my trusty saw and hammer, set up the garbage cans to be a work bench and went at it.

The pieces of wood had to be less than 6 feet long and placed in garbage cans that did not exceed 50 pounds. I decided to remove as many of the nails as possible as it would be very dangerous putting that in a trash can.. let alone for the garbage men.

So...I was outside... breaking up the old front steps...sawing.. hammering... etc etc etc... I was extremely careful... probably more careful than I have ever been in my entire life. I had one more board to go when I tripped over my own foot and fell backward.... not fall down but my foot went backwards to brace me.
That's when I stepped on a rusty nail...and it went through my sneaker.

I was of course scared Sh*tless by this and immediately went inside to check it out. I was ready to grab my keys and head right over to the hospital to get it checked out.

I pulled off my sneaker and I saw the hole in it. I then pulled off my sock and saw , with MUCH relief that the nail did NOT penetrate my skin.
VERY lucky
I put the shoe back on and went out and finished the project... a good two hour project.

I was extremely careful and now I will be even more careful again in the future... That scared the hell out of me.

For everyone else... have a nice day and remember how hard your carpenter friends work and think of the dangers they face...

No comments: