Friday, August 13, 2004

McGreevey Quits

How can I not write about this?

How can I let it go?

In case you don't know what I am talking about, let me share with you the important headlines.

1. McGreevey Quits - My Truth is that I am a Gay American (Home News Tribune)
2. Gov. McGreevey Admits Affair, Announces Nov. 15 Resignation 'I AM A GAY AMERICAN' (Courier News)
3. McGreevey Steps Down After Disclosing a Gay Affair (New York Times)
4. Gay Affair Rocks Jersey Statehouse (USA Today)
5. Gov and His Love (New York Daily News)
6. Gay Blackmail Scandal, I'm Out, McGreevey Quits Over Secret Affair with Male Aide (New York Post)
7. McGreevey Quits, Admits Gay Affair (Newark Star Ledger)
8. I'm a Gay American (MSN.com)
9. Gay Gov Gets Out (FoxNews.com)
10. Gov Admits He's Gay, Quits (Yahoo.com)

First and foremost people... this is NOT about someone being gay. The reason for quitting goes way beyond someone being gay. As much as the current administration and whacko groups like to claim that homosexuality is wrong, who really cares if an individual is gay? This issue goes above and beyond someone being gay.

The shock value is fun for the media because no one has ever made an announcement like this. Sure, Clinton admitted to cheating on his wife in the Oval Office, but no one seemed to mind as much because it was with a woman. This time it just happened to be with a gay man. A gay man that threatened to file a sexual harassment case against him in Mercer County court earlier in the day (which he will do today). A gay man that allegedly was attempting to blackmail the Governor for millions of dollars by claiming to reveal the Governor's secret -- a secret that makes for a juicy headline.

However, the issue goes much deeper than this. McGreevey resigned for other reasons with the primary reason being that the office of the Governor of the State of New Jersey was now compromised. His confession was the first step to alleviating that situation. The people of the State of New Jersey deserve a leader to devote his time to governing the state. They deserve someone who can focus their attentions on the issues at hand. They deserve a leader -- whether you agree with his policies or not -- who will make decisions that better the State of New Jersey. McGreevey chose the right move and offered to remove himself from a position that was now compromised.

There will be inquiries and questions asked about how deep the blackmailing went. They are all valid questions that NEED to be asked. They will be done in due time, and I hope they find all that was wrong with the situation. I just encourage people to stop saying this all happened because he was gay.

Admitting you are gay has to be one of the most personal and difficult decisions that a person can make, and for that I admire Gov. McGreevey for finally accepting what type of person he is. ( I do not say that condescendingly either. It was the only word I can use to effectively express what I am trying to say.) He is a human being who made some mistakes and now must learn to live with the repercussions.

One last note... Initially, I thought that his decision to not resign until November 15, 2004 was mostly a political one that was designed to protect the Democrats in the state. On the most basic level it is. On another level, with the way people are reacting to this situation by blindly focusing on the gay issue, I am glad that the election won't be held until 2005. The upcoming presidential election is already going to be divisive enough with the two extremes already in a negative pissing match. Even with all that is going on, the Republicans in the State of New Jersey do not have a viable candidate that would be able to run against someone like a Jon Corzine. They would be forced to turn to negative campaigning and I fear how ugly that can get. I am glad to be spared from the political wreckage that could result from this.

I am done for now. I feel as though I have so much more to say, but I don't have the energy to add it. Have a good day today folks and remember something important -- The Olympics start tonight. That should be fun.

No comments: