Thursday, July 08, 2004

Fantasy Football

I have a confession to make...

Each year I play fantasy football. Been doing it for years too.

There are two general reactions to this statement.

1. "What a loser! I just don't understand that!" Fair enough about the understanding thing, but I am still not sure why that indicates that someone is a loser. I enjoy reading the stats and learning about the athletic performances of some of the world's best and fattest atheletes. In fact, the game has taken on a whole level of enjoyability (new word?) for me ever since I was forced to grasp the concept of completion yards and forced fumbles. If that makes me a loser... then I suppose I am. I never knew that taking an interest in something that keeps me off the streets and away from gangs would make me a loser.

2. "Awesome! You got a league going?" There is the other group of people that loves to play as much as I do. They read facts... we cry and laugh over Peyton Manning's come from behind 4TD fourth quarter in a Monday night game last week that either saved fantasy football teams or in my case... killed me. We are the men and women that love the game of football and are willing to make every game on Sunday afternoon interesting. Heck... the Browns suck... I never cared about them before but when William Green gets arrested... so does my team!

Why does something so harmless and simple seem to create so much animosity? I am not quite sure. I think there might be some that fear the game and the merits that it holds. My math skills have never been so honed as they are now and will be come September.

Yahoo has already allowed its users to create a league and start drafting and yes... I have already set one up. My buddies have already started to join from last year and the team formerly known as Schnizzle Fatizzle thinks he has a chance this year... but he is mistaken. The Big Blue Balls will have something to say about it. Too bad he can't back up his words.

That last paragraph wasn't really for you gentle readers... it was meant to make fun of someone who may actually take fantasy football too seriously... and he knows who he is.

Wish me luck friends. The Asphalt Warriors will be stomping a proverbial mud hole into the asses of his opponents... in both of his leagues.

No comments: