Saturday, July 17, 2004

When Your Favorite Music Gets Lame

As many of you know, I am a huge fan of music. I can't play it with any skill at all, but I love listening to music. Here is my evidence.

1. 1000+ CD's.
2. I have attended 100's of live shows.
3. I have two bands on my blog.
4. I run a CD exchange so that people who don't know each other can exchange their favorite music.
5. I have a pile of CDs on my desk at work that rotate through the computer.
6. I have a ton on my computer that I just let run randomly whenever I can.

Music is fun for me. With that, I obviously have some favorites and some other bands that I really like but can't break my top five acts of all time.

These top five acts -- In no particular order -- are:

1. U2
2. Barenaked Ladies
3. Neil Diamond
4. Better Than Ezra
5. Cowboy Mouth

I have seen them all in concert in big venues and for some -- in smaller venues.

My problem came a couple of days ago when I got an email message from my favorite concert search engine POLLSTAR. This site is great and you can find out where our favorite bands are playing whenever they post anything on their site.

Pollstar informed me that Better Than Ezra had a concert coming to New Jersey! "Kick ass!" I thought. I have seen Better Than Ezra play to a sold out Irving Plaza as the headliner, at a baseball stadium, and in an arena. They have had several Top Ten hits as well...including one about 2 years ago.

Here is where I got depressed. The will be playing in Ortley Beach, NJ at a place named Joey Harrison's Surf Club. What happens when your one of your favorite bands begins the slow decent to obscurity and abysmal performances? What do you do?

Do you continue to support them?
Do you help the bleeding by just letting them die forever immortalizing them as you remember them?
Do you just drop your head and pray?

I wish I could make that show on the 13th of August but I can't. It would probably just depress me anyway.

I hope they make another "comeback."

Has this happened to anyone else?

3 comments:

jame1030 said...

Neil Diamond?????
I can appreciate his work (and like several of his songs) but he's in your top 5? I don't understand that one!

Anonymous said...

Getting past the obscurity issue for Better Than Ezra... the Surf Club is well know to Jersey Shore residents. It's no CBGB's or Waterfront Park, but known amongst the beaches...

Smelmooo said...

#1 -- Neil Diamond is the greatest song writer of all time. Some people may say Lennon... but he was cut short. Diamond continues to write...and write well.

#2 -- Who wrote the sruf club post?

#3 -- BNL opened for Alanis. How depressing is that?