Friday, July 16, 2004

Giving Blood

I know that when I normally write for this here blog, I write with my tongue firmly planted in cheek, but today, even though.. I am feeling slightly preachy...I have added some humor... but the final point remains the same... Giving Blood = Good.

I was fortunate again today to make it to the Community Blood Council today. I have been giving blood for almost a decade now, and I think that it is a great and simple thing for all of us to do.

I love giving blood and for many reasons. Trust me... it ain't for the long needle they stick in my arm or for the worst part -- the test for iron levels. Why does that long needle hurt far less than when they stick that little prick on the end of your finger? (For you dirty folks.. I mean needle.)

1. Cheese Crackers -- Need I say more? These delectable crackers make giving blood completely worth it. Whoever thought of providing blood donors with an item filled with blood clogging cheese is a genius or a moron. I haven't decided.

2. Naps -- Although a large needle is pumping your life blood out of my body, I find it a soothing time to just close my eyes and lie back and relax a bit. Very enjoyable...very.

3. Choice of many, many, many drinks -- I think I counted 8 different kinds of drinks that they give you when you are giving blood. They range from water to Tang to iced tea to real orange juice. You know I gotta go with the water on that one. We are talking about a blood center. I want to make sure the liquid I am getting is clear.

4. Irene -- Irene is a 60+ nurse that has probably taken my blood about 1/2 the times I have gone in there. She rocks and always remembers who I am. GO IRENE!!!

5. Drinking -- You may be thinking... didn't I already post about drinking liquids and the lovely choices? I did... but I mean ... BOOZE. You have one less pint of blood in your system. That means that you have that less blood to counteract the wine or beer you will drink that night. I fully expect the beer I consume tonight to fully affect my abilities to operate a motor vehicle. Go QUICK BUZZ!!!

6. Feeling Good -- I don't know who benefits from the 45 minutes I donate every 9-10 weeks, but it makes me feel all warm inside to know that I have helped someone live for at least 15 more minutes.

Preachy... Preachy...Preachy... Give blood folks... It is good for everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am totally with you on the goodness of giving blood...and I need to get myself back on the chair...
HOWEVER, I must disagree with your refreshment choices. It is all about the Lorna Doone cookies and the apple juice. And picking whatever color tourniquet you think is prettiest! -- Maureen

Smelmooo said...

I go with pink. Makes me feel like a pretty girl under my manly suit.

Anonymous said...

i am with maureen on this one. i should get back to it too. mara