Friday, July 30, 2004

Wacky Wednesday on Friday!!!

Wacky Wednesday on Friday!!!

Muh honey and I sat down to watch a movie last night.  It was actually a pretty surreal experience now that I think about it the next day.  We watched the original "The Manchurian Candidate."  The movie starred the incomparably evil Angela Lansbury (you read that correctly), the extremely dull Frank Sinatra, the endearing Janet Leigh and the masterful Lawrence Harvey. 

I was disappointed to see that a remake was being made of the original and that remake starring Meryl Street and Denzel Washington debuts today.  The reviews are mediocre and from what I can read, it modernizes a story that is still eerie no matter what time period it is set. 

Anyway... I wanted to see and I wanted muh honey to see the original before we got tainted again by the remake.  The movie was just as eerie as I remember it, and I am more scared now that someone can so easily manipulate our fellow man to do such atrocious things in the name of power.

I saw this movie for the first time in 1994 and I had impressions of Angela Lansbury. She was the sweet murder writer in Murder, She Wrote.  She was the lovely sweet witch in Bedknobs and Broomsticks.  She was just smily and someone that I would trust with my kids.  However, when you see her in her version of the Manchurian Candidate, you will revisit your impressions of her.  She is Evil with a capital E and she makes this movie.

Many people have problems with black and white pictures -- why.. I do not know... but I implore you to see this flick.  It may not move as quickly as many movies do today, but this movie is truly one of the greatest ever made.

No comments: