Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Gerunds Rock

Gerunds Rock...

Dictionary.com defines a gerund as follows...

gerund (n.)
In Latin, a noun derived from a verb and having all case forms except the nominative.
In other languages, a verbal noun analogous to the Latin gerund, such as the English form ending in -ing when used as a noun, as in singing in We admired the choir's singing.

As a grammar nerd, I heart gerunds. They are words that make me feel like an active adult and they run rampant through my thoughts and speech.

I heart using them, and I heart hearing them used by others.

In fact, it is easy to say that gerunds brought me and muh honey together. I actually made a joke on our first date that used the word "gerunds" and teased my usage of them.

She laughed.

It was fate.

Regardless, gerunds are great. Let's review my 4th of July Weekend using only gerunds.

1. Driving to BB is fun on the Friday before the 4th of July.
2. Arriving at the house, I drank some soda.
3. Baking in the sun was enjoyable for Friday morning and Saturday afternoon.
4. Groaning after the ninth inning of three Yankee losses to the Mets was appropriate.
5. Slopping on sunscreen was necessary to not get skin cancer.
6. Eating, Drinking and Being Merry were evident all three nights.
7. Borrowing my future sister in law's minivan was an experience for muh honey and I.
8. Constructing a desk and monster sized bookshelf were test of will.
9. Viewing blood and gore in the form of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre alleviated stress.
10. Blogging.

Have a good rest of the day folks...or should I say ... Having a good day is my wish for you! (?)

3 comments:

KARCHAMB said...

I'm deeply impressed with your use of the gerund in all its forms. However, as a fellow grammar geek, I must also note your split infinitive in "to not get skin cancer." It disturbs me deeply that you wrote this and even moreso that I noticed it.

Smelmooo said...

She wins the prize!

I did it on purpose.

Go fellow geeks!

Anonymous said...

This is why I love Karen. I keep hearing that it's now considered overly rigid to care about split infinitives, but they make me cringe. I think you are my secret geeky soulmate. -- Maureen