Saturday, September 11, 2004

FAVORITE BOOK

FAVORITE BOOK

I ran out of things to read this Labor Day weekend so I picked up an old friend of mine -- my favorite book. Rediscovering a favorite book is an inspiring experience.

My favorite book of all time is hands down -- High Fidelty by Nick Hornby. I am almost equally enamoured with his follow up -- About a Boy, but High Fidelity takes the top honor.

The book follows the first person account of Rob Gordon -- a 35 year old malcontent that reviews his entire love life in the wake of a break up by his most recent girlfriend. The trip he brings the reader on is the most poignant and legitimate tale of love -- from a male perspective -- that I have ever read.

Hornby doesn't spare us from any details nor does he sugar coat the raw emotions that men sometimes feel after a break up. It evokes a raw emotion that still moves me. Through all of this, Hornby is able to examine his musical tastes and how music can affect even the lamest of music fans. He also adds a nice blend of humor that alleviates all of the love pains of the tortured author and main character alike. This is most evident in the movie version of the book starring John Cusack in which the humor was played up quite a bit.

I have some female friends that have been burned by guys in the past and I have recommended that they read High Fidelity as a way to understand that men aren't that far off from women when it comes to relationships. We can feel pain. We can be assholes. We can be.... humans.

Anyway, for the past few days, I have felt at home. I have felt relaxed as my favorite book as brought me home and hugged me. Thank you favorite book... Thank you.

Does anyone else have a book that does this?

2 comments:

seth said...

I've never re-read a book in my life. However, I think I'd like to read your favorite book.

Anonymous said...

There are definitely some books (like "The Stand") that over the years I'll pick up more than once. As for my favorite..."Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen hands down. Wrong first impressions, dysfunctional families, and true love occuring when least expected - what could be better.

- Leslie