Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Just a little hobby...

We all have hobbies.

I have a hobby or two.

I like to sell things on Ebay... even if I just break even.

I like to read as well. I like to pick up the latest book and drain my brain in minutae or in drivel.

I also like to proofread menus at Asian restaurants. It started out a few years ago when I noticed that Asian restaurants and their owners have a great deal of problems with spelling, grammar and sentence structure. (Like me ... in muh blogs.)

I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt to many of these restaurants as they are immigrants who came to this country and made a good life for themselves here in the United States by supplying me with the type of food I enjoy. However, I am still perplexed that businesses that have been in the community for years and have very professional looking menus continue to have the grammar problems.

With increased success, comes glossier and funkier menus. With those improvements should come the ability to pay someone to check the language and grammar of the menus. Nope.

I have found that the Vietnamese menus are the worst, followed by the one Korean restaurant I have been too. The Japanese and Chinese seem to be either good or horrible, but the Thai are the best.

I look at it as a game really. I have never been to an Asian restaurant... no matter how nice the place is and NOT found at least one mistake in the menu. Generally, the mistakes are within the descriptions of food, but periodically, I find them in the titles of sections or in the welcoming "note."

I challenge you to try this game the next time you go to an Asian restaurant... Let me know the name of the restaurant if you find a menu without any mistakes. I will do what I can to become a regular there.

No comments: