Thursday, September 02, 2004

Lines from Movies -- Good Times & Memories

As an avid reader of Entertainment Weekly, I look forward to the monthly column by Stephen King (although I miss you Joel Stein!!!). Recently, he did a piece on some of the best movie lines that have ever been said.

As I read his list, I was amazed. He pulled out lines from movies that I have seen and love, but the line that he used wasn't the one that resonated the most with me. He later went on to explain that a lot of the lines probably wouldn't mean as much to us as they might to him. He gave an example of how a line from a particular movie was meaningful primarily because it was relevant to his relationship with his son. I can dig that.

It doesn't really matter WHY the line is important or if it really matters... what matters is that you remember it.

The piece amused me because I often quote movie lines to people and they usually have one of two responses:

1. I know that movie! Remember the part where...
2. That was inappropriate Brian.

With that said, let me tell you a few of my favorite lines. I do this in way of an apology to many of you if I have ever said one of these out loud at an inopportune moment.

A. And the flowers are still standing! -- Ghostbusters.
B. I know. There is something wrong with your face. -- Big Trouble in Little China (This one often gets me glared at. Taken in context... this is a great example of how talented Kurt Russell is...especially when he is dissing Kim Cattrall -- Did you guys know she is in Sex and the City?)
C. I Know you are, but what am I? -- Pee Wee's Big Adventure (I don't care how much you want to roll your eyes... this is a classic film.)
D. Oh yeah? Where are they hosing him down? -- Also Pee Wee's Big Adventure...and also... a line that I should learn to say in different company than I do.
E. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together - and blow." -- To Have and To Have Not (Lana Turner said this and I immediately fell in love.)
F. MMMM-HMMMM! This is a tasty burger! -- Pulp Fiction (This is the line that proved to me that Samuel Jackson was one of the coolest people on the planet.)
G. Can I borrow your underpants for about ten minutes -- Sixteen Candles (Do I really need to explain why I used to get smacked for this one?)
H. Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room! -- Dr. Strangelove (How far ahead of the rest of the world was Peter Sellers. Comic genius.)
I. Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me. -- Harvey, 1950 (See http://smelmooo.blogspot.com/2004/08/harvey-reminds-me-to-be-nice.html)
J. Remember, you're fighting for this woman's honor, which is probably more than she ever did. -- Duck Soup (The Marx Brothers at their best.)
K. You're gonna need a bigger boat. -- Jaws (That was when I officially became scared during this masterpiece.)
L. I just want to say one word to you - just one word.... 'plastics. -- The Graduate (Great movie... great dialogue... scary old lady.)
M. One, Two, Freddy's Coming For You -- Nightmare on Elm Street (The movie started a wave of entertaining slashers. You tell me one as entertaining as Freddy... and I will give in. He had his own playground theme song for goodness sake!)

That's it for now.

What are some of your favorite movie lines?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't know if you've been keeping up on current events, pal, but we just got our asses kicked out there!" Bill Paxton in Aliens

"I WILL find you!" Daniel Day Lewis, Last of the Mohicans

"Didn't you people ever WATCH your own show!" Sam Rockwell, Galaxy Quest

Smelmooo said...

Minna has just proven my point. I think the better line from ALiens is when Bill Paxton yells -- "Game over man... Game Over!!!!"

It is all about what resonates.

Anonymous said...

"It buzzed me. Its bigger than I thought....its about a two-pounder. We need a plan" --The Great Outdoors

"I'm sorry I fogot to compliment you on your luscious mellon breasts! Thank you Jerry, Thank you." --Best in Show

"Go Muskies!" --Drop Dead Gorgeous

"Car! Game On!" --Wayne's World

-Shari

mickeyg said...

Movie Lines:
"Flames...Flames....on the side of my face...Burning...Heaving...: (Clue - it still makes me laugh even if I have seen it 100 times)

So it's sorta social...demented and sad, but social: (the breakfast club)

INCONCEIVABLE!! (the princess bride)

Have fun storming the castle! (the princess bride)

And it's not a movie, but I have to have a good buffy quote here:
The Earth is DEFINATELY doomed. (Giles, in the series finale)
and
If the apocalypse comes, beep me. (Buffy)

Anonymous said...

As Dalton Ross pointed out when he was doing the What to Watch feature in Entertainment Weekly, every single thing out of Bill Paxton's mouth in Aliens was pure gold.

Anonymous said...

Oh, there are so many. I'll probably list more after my allergy medicine fog lifts, but for now:

"Heather once told me, 'If you wanna f*@# with the eagles, you have to learn to fly.'
I said, 'So, you teach people how to spread their wings and fly?'
She said yes.
I said, 'You're beautiful.'" -- Heathers

"Strange things are afoot at the Circle K." (The Smelmoo will, I'm sure, correct me if I got that one wrong) -- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure

(posted by: yh)

jame1030 said...

"Behind every good man there is a woman, and that woman was Martha Washington man, and everyday George would come home, she would have a big fat bowl waiting for him, man when he come in the door, man she was a hip, hip, hip lady, man." (Slater from "Dazed and Confused")

Come on Eric... I know you have a few more from this movie.

Anonymous said...

Claire: You know, you look a lot better without all that black shit under your eyes.
Allison: Hey, I like all that black shit...
Breakfast Club

"But Mooky, it's too hot to do the nasty!"
Do The Right Thing

"So much time, so little to do...Strike that, reverse it".
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

Anonymous said...

There is truth to that remark on different quotes for different people in the same movie.... My favorite Dazed and Confused quote is "The Dollar bill man..... It's green..... Spooky....." I think it was the Eddie Vedder look alike kid that said it.

The funniest 2 lines ever on TV:
Wesley Wyndham-Price: "I'm a rogue demon hunter."
Cordelia Chase: "What's a rogue demon?"
From Angel. But you really had to be there to find this one funny.

The one I quote most often to my grad students is:
"Sabrina, don't worry about her. I tortured her, now she tortures you. Succeed, and you'll get someone of your own to torture." As said by the Vogue editor to her protege's protege Sabrina in the very bad 1990's adaptation of Sabrina with Julia Ormond and Harrison Ford (of course in the original movie, Audrey Hepburn went to cooking school not to work at Vogue, but I digress.....)

Which brings me to the question: When is the blog on top 5 movie remakes coming up?

-Hande

seth said...

"I feel the need......the need for speed!" (Top Gun)

"Hey, Daddy, I want an Oompa Loompa. I want you to get me an Oompa Loompa right away" (Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory)

"FREEEEE-DOMMMMMM" (Braveheart)

----------------------------------
"PC Load Letter"? What the fuck does that mean?"

"I'm thinking about taking that new chick from Logistics. If things go right I might be showing her my O-face. You know: Oh. Oh"

"And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire"

All from OFFICE SPACE!

seth said...

"Aloha, Mr. Hand."

"All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine."

"That was my skull! I'm so wasted!"

and of course....

"What are you, people? On dope?"

courtesy of Jeff Spicoli & Mr. Hand in Fast Times At Ridgemont Hight

Anonymous said...

I don't patronize bunny rabbits - Heathers

MMMM big gulps... welp, see ya later - Dumb and Dumber

Chris

Anonymous said...

"There's a lot of things about me you don't understand... things you wouldn't understand... things you couldn't understand... things you shouldn't understand. You don't want to get mixed up with a guy like me... I'm a loner, a rebel." - pee wee' big adventure

Anonymous said...

"America is blessed. If America were a woman, she would be a big titty woman" - Mays Gilliam (Chris Rock) in Head of State