Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Selling Muh House

I can finally speak to this as the transaction is now complete and I have my checks in hand.

Checks you ask?

Yes.... checks....

I put my condominium on the market exactly 3 months yesterday. The traffic looking at the condo was high and no one told my realtor that they had any issues with the place. They just weren't ready to look. In fact, I had over 44 unique people look at the place over the first two months and about 10 or so came back for multiple looks. I was getting very frustrated with the whole process as I expected the place to sell a lot quicker than it did.

Finally, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I got the most important call of the whole process -- someone wanted to buy the place and they put in a wacky offer. The countering back and forth began and ended in a few hours. I now had muh buyer, but there was a catch. She needed to close by the 7th of September so that she could start her daughter at school at the beginning of the school year.

Fine... the process was to be expedited and it was completed yesterday -- right on time....with some glitches that just made the whole process far more frustrating. It made me just breathe a breath of relief and mutter... thank fucking goodness that it is over.

Issues:

1. We negotiated the place "As is -- barring any structural problems." Her lawyer still tried to argue that the minor repairs would be fixed. My lawyer quickly squashed that whole process, but all it took was her real estate agent to squash that earlier and not allow the kill button to almost get pushed.

2. I fail fire inspection. Nobody fails fire inspection. It was supposed to be the easiest part of the whole process. Apparently, there is some law about how all fire alarms have to be hard wired to each other that went into effect after I bought the place. I spent an hour or so on Saturday rewiring the ceiling so that I would pass the test. The test was given about 2 hours before closing. Flying colors.

3. The lock box kept breaking so I had to keep coming up with keys for my agent to use for all the inspections. This was probably the most irritating part of the whole process...something so basic going so nutty and wrong.

4. I get to the closing and there was a money problem. The money for the transaction wasn't wired into the account correctly. This was caused by the purchase of one bank by another. The money was posted to lawyer's account when it was the old bank on Saturday. The changeover occurred on Sunday and Monday. It took them about 45 minutes to find the money... let alone wire it. The money was found.

5. Another money issue occurred as well. My lawyer and I were going over what money was coming to me when he realized that it was 1000 bucks short. This separate $1000 was sent over by the real estate agent... to the lawyer... who credited it to ANOTHER SELLER! They spent 35 minutes looking for it and when we realized what happened... we demanded a separate check and went on our merry little way. That was an extra hour that I didn't need to be there.

So anyway... I am now only paying one mortgage with muh honey and this makes me happy.

WOO HOO!!!

2 comments:

barbara said...

Like whoa...that sounded uber annoying.

At least, after all the turmoil, it's worth it in the end. Congrats on the sale... I hope you're taking Maureen out to a nice dinner with the 2 checks you have.. weeEeEE!!

jame1030 said...

Congratulations!