Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Knowing me...At the Bank...A Tale of Invading My Privacy... in a Friendly Sort of Fashion

I go to the bank frequently and I usually go to the Commerce Bank around the corner from my house at 7:30 in the morning at least 3-4 times a week.

I go a lot because I sell a bunch of stuff on eBay and recently has been no different as muh wife and I are getting rid of our CD collection. I get a lot of checks because that is how people pay me.

However, my point is that I go to the bank a lot and the tellers all have a vague idea of who I am.

This morning... that all changed.

Normally, when I put the deposit slip in the slot, it gets sent to them and then they greet me by name. "Good morning Smelmooo. Is there anything else I can do for you today?"

I say no and head off to work.

This morning, I pulled in and they didn't even wait for the deposit slip to be submitted. His voice came over the microphone and said, "Good morning Smelmooo."

I was completely shocked... so much so that I laughed and said "No thank you..." with a giggle in my voice. I didn't know what to do... and I felt sort of naked yet pleased that the guy would remember me.

My only real problem after evaluating the situation is that I don't know his name. I almost feel bad about that.

I have noted recently that service oriented businesses like banks are trying to add the personal touch by addressing you by your first name. I kind of like that and it seems to be working.

However, why does society seem to favor these types of businesses yet I was still taken aback when he addressed me by my name before I even submitted my deposit slip?

My first impression is that I am no longer enjoying the world of anonymity and that the world can figure out who you are no matter what... then .. I took my paranoia hat off and realized... hey... maybe the guy just recognized me and liked me enough to say "hey."

I guess I really have no idea... but I will keep going back anyway.

1 comment:

Smelmooo said...

You hit it much more eloquently than I ever could.

Thanks muh friend. I could call you or meet you to tell you, but what the hell... I want to remain distant.