Thursday, May 19, 2005

Rejuvenation -- The U2 Way

Sometimes in life when things sem a bit dismal, something happens that lights a spark under your butt and reminds you of how super and fun everything is.

Last night, I went to see U2 at the Continental Airlines Arena with muh wife, muh brother, and his lady. It was an incredible time! The concert was so awesome and captivating that I am feeling rejuvenated... yet... very very very tired from the late night return home.

Fans or non fans that see U2 in concert gain a whole new appreciation for the band. The show is full of so much energy and life that people can't but help being drawn into it. It was a fantastic time.

I was also impressed with how they pulled some of their really old stuff out even some obscure stuff like Stories For Boys... which I love!

I only had two problems with the best concert I have ever been to.

1. The pot smoking was by the guy right next to me so my clothes reeked.
2. No With or Without You...

My absolute highlight was the fact that they ended the show with my absolute most favorite U2 song... Bad and they melded it with 40.

Fantastic.

Here is the set list:

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / Stories For Boys (snippet) / Pump It Up (snippet)
Elevation
Gloria
The Ocean
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / No Regrets (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / Please (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
Running To Stand Still
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One

Encores:
Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
All Because Of You
Yahweh
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Bad / 40 (snippet)

Did I also forget to mentiont hat the light show for the concert was incredible too?

I bet you might gather that the show was incredible!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having never been to a U2 concert before, I was absolutely amazed by the whole performance. In fact, when asked how it was, I can only answer with, "amazing". I must say, my favorite 2 songs performed were: (1) the opening, "City of Blinding Lights", for having took my breath away and (2) "where the Streets have no name" for having the opportunity to look around and be able to see the enormous crowd and energy that filled the place. I had the best time.

seth said...

I must ask....did Bono go off on one of his usual political rants? I like U2, I've seen U2 live (and yes, it was a great show) but I really hate the fact that he spends about 10 minutes ranting about his political/moral views (how much as I agree or disagree with them is not important).

I'm glad you all had a good time

Smelmooo said...

Bono did make a political statement about a group that is universally supported. http://www.one.org/

They are looking to eliminate poverty throughout the world.

He did not "go off on one of his usual rants" as the 1 minute speech went quite well with their song... "One"

Anonymous said...

Seth, I was wondering about that too (this was my first U2 show, and I just loved it). There really wasn't too much of it; he stuck to everyone-can-at-least-agree-on-this topics. He emphasized that this One campaign really has support from the left and the right. The New York Times coverage of the show is pretty spot-on, I think: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/19/arts/music/19bono.html?

-- Maureen