Monday, June 27, 2005

Gettin' Some Furniture Deliveredl -- A True Funny Story about Technology and Its New Role in Our Lives

Muh wife and I went to the mall and other stores to look for some patio furniture for our back yard a little while back. We found a great set at Sears as they were having an incredible sale.

However... even though its name may imply enough room, the Big Blue Buick is a bit too small to fit all the parts of the set into it -- especially the table top itself.

In response we decided to pay the extra few dollars to have the sucker shipped to us. We also worked out what day would be best for us and the Sears associate agreed that the system would allow us to change the date and time if necessary. We would find out the exact delivery time after 6:00 p.m. the evening before delivery.

Muh wife and I have had one other set of furniture delivered to us and it wasn't a good experience. Let's just say that it required a follow up delivery with the correct pieces and UNDAMAGED pieces. We were a little hesitant to do the delivery thing... but we chose this past Wednesday and I gave Sears my cell phone number as the contact number.

Monday rolled around and muh cell phone rang. I answered it even with the strange number on the ID panel. An automated person came on and reminded me that I had a delivery coming on Wednesday and that a time would be determined Tuesday afternoon.

Tuesday morning arrived 24 hours later and I received the same automated message with the change reminding me to call after 6:00 p.m. to find out the delivery window.

Tuesday at 6:05 p.m. pulled up to the curb in front of muh house at the same time I did and I answered with..."Hello"

"Good evening. This is an automated message from Sears' Delivery Service. Please press one if there will be a responsible adult at your delivery location between 2:45 pm and 4:15 pm."

I pressed one and they hung up.

Wow... not what I was expecting...

I was equally surprised the next day when I received a phone call at 11:30 am telling me that the company was running 30 minutes LATE!!!!

What is going on with the world?!?!@?!@? Wha? Sears is being good?

Whatever... I got home at 3:15 and they showed up at 4:55 pm. Not too bad and I will give them the benefit of the doubt considering there was a torrential downpour with lightning for aobut 30 minutes at 4:00 pm. not bad at all.

Overall... a good experience...

Thank you Sears.

No comments: