Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tucker's Wild Eye Attack

Monday mornings. So many people hate them. I am not a big fan of them but hey... I get up each Monday and I deal with it.

This past Monday, muh wife woke up before me and took care of Tucker the Wonder Pup. He was being especially fidgety last night and I was glad to see him finally stop whining so I could get a couple of extra minutes rest.

I woke up about 20 minutes later to a note from muh wife that she was at the gym and telling me to look at Tucker's eye as it didn't seem right.

She was right.

The eye was tearing and he was squinting and he kept blinking. I remember that type of eye from when I had to go to the emergency room because I scratched muh cornea a few years ago. Tucker didn't look good.

We waited around and got a 10 am appointment at the veterinarian. About 45 minutes later, Tucker was diagnosed with an eye contusion. Basically, it means that his eye got wailed on something.

I racked muh brain and I couldn't think of what we had done the night before to have caused this. I couldn't think of anything at all except maybe when we were playing tug of war or fetch the tennis ball he might have swung his head in a funny way and hit the couch or something. Either way... I was still feeling as though it was something that I had done.

I was punished because one of the things that we had to do was put on one of those wacky Elizabethan collars on him so that he couldn't paw at his eye.

Yes... our dog looked like the dog in One Crazy Summer. I have to make light of something serious.

My guilt was made even deeper each time I had to leave him alone in the kitchen with plenty of water and a fan blowing on him as he just stared at me with that collar on. It was heart wrenching and if I did do something to cause the pain, there was my punishment.

I will add one thing though. It is amazing watching him with that collar. With it on, he is a moping and depressed dog. When I take the collar off, he goes crazy! It's like turning on and off the dog. He is so much more fun without it on. Almost as though I set him free.

I can already see a HUGE difference in his eye. He is a cutie.

No comments: